I love chicken broth. It adds so much flavor and nutritional value to many gluten-free recipes, and homemade slow cooker chicken broth couldn’t be easier!
Chicken broth is an awesome addition to soups, rice, gravy, sauces… and the list goes on. And like most things, there is just no comparing what comes off the shelves, with what you can make yourself. Like homemade lunchmeat. There’s just no comparison.
Homemade chicken broth is out of this world!
But there’s something else – you can make it in the slow cooker with so little work, that you’ll never want to buy it again!
In case I haven’t said this before, I love my slow cooker! It’s like magic – you throw a bunch of ingredients in, came back later and, le poof! Dinner’s ready!
This is chicken broth, and not, strictly speaking, bone broth. However, I’ve included apple cider vinegar to help leach the minerals from the bones, just like you would in a “real” bone broth recipe, and then cooked it for nearly 24 hours – until the bones were actually soft. In my opinion, it’s the best of both worlds.Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Broth Recipe
- 1 chicken carcass (skin-on for best results)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 ribs celery, cut into chunks*
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 peppercorns (optional)
- 2-3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
*I like to use the leafy tops from several ribs of celery since they have the same flavor, but aren’t useful in a lot of other recipes
- Place all ingrediens in a slow cooker and cook over night up to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken and veggies with a slotted spoon.
- Filter liquid through several layers of cheesecloth or a cofffee filter.
- Debone chicken, chop, and add back to the broth or reserve for another use. (hint: it’s great for casseroles!)
- Divide broth into freezer bags or containers, or jars for canning.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Meal Time!
Download this FREE printable family meal plan kit, so you eliminate dinner time stress.