Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite gluten-free recipes for dinner. And this is the best chicken pot pie recipe. Why? Well, it’s delicious obviously, but also very nutritious with the incorporations of vegetables, meat, and cicken broth. Especially when you use homemade chicken broth.
I’m so happy to have a good gluten-free pie crust recipe to use for these. Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. It does take a little bit of time to prepare, but it’s well worth it! It’s also a great freezer dish, which means you can knock out several pies in one stretch, and then pull one out of the freezer for an awesome meal when you don’t have time to cook from scratch.
This recipe pairs very well as a main dish, with a green salad, and pan fried sweet potatoes as sides. Talk about a warm, hearty, country meal – and a nutritional power house!
The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 recipes of gluten-free pie crust
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1–2 carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2–3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- wash peel, and chop vegetables as desired. boil or steam all vegetables except onion.
- Sauteé onion in butter until translucsent. Mix in cornstarch, and quickly add chicken broth and milk. Stir until thickened.
- Drain veggies, and add to onion mix. Add chicken, and spices to taste.
- Roll out pie crust as directed, and line a deep casserole dish (appoximately 1.5 quart capacity). Pour filling in, and top with another layer of pie crust.
- Cut vents into top crust.
- Bake at 350º for thirty minutes, or until crust is nicely browned.
- Take out of oven and serve. Be careful – the filling is hot!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!