Looking for a Christmas treat? This gluten-free cranberry kuchen is not just easy to make, it’s effortlessly festive, and delicious too!
Back when I was first learning to make gluten-free recipes for my husband with celiac disease, I had a lot of disheartening desserts.
I wondered if I’d ever be able to make something good enough that he wouldn’t miss wheat.
This simple gluten-free cranberry Kuchen recipe was one of the first that gave me hope.
It was so simple, I almost didn’t believe that it would work, but it did!
Similar to a coffee cake in substance and texture, it was somehow both fluffy and dense. Sweetness, balanced with tart cranberry. None of the dense, gritty gluten-free texture I’d been battle so much against.
It was perfect.
After the first time I made it, the holiday season passed, and I didn’t make it again for another year or more. Looking back, I wonder why, when I was struggling so much with making yummy treats, would I have let a thing like seasonality get in the way of serving the one thing that was working. 😅
But that’s just a distant memory now. Today, almost anything you want with a gluten-free version, we have it. In fact, some of our very favorite Christmas recipe are gluten-free – like gluten-free molasses cookies, and our new chocolate crinkle cookie recipe.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Kuchen
- Most traditional Cranberry Kuchen recipes have a crumb topping. In this one, you’ll notice that I’ve opted for a sugar crust. I just love so much how it glazes the top of your kuchen, and looks a little like snow, while being so incredibly easy.
- If you use a gluten-free flour mix with binders like xanthin or guar gum, your gluten-free kuchen will be perfect. If you opt to leave them out however, this cake is best served warm. Without them, it can get a little crumbly when it’s cold. (I’ll link my preferred flour mixes in the recipe box)
- The method by which you chop your cranberries is up to you. Most kuchen recipes have you whirl them in a food processor to chop them pretty finely. I like to use a nice to half and/or quarter them so I have bigger, nicer chunks of cranberry that really stand out in my cake.
- After having so much success with this gluten-free cranberry Kuchen recipe, I’m happy to say it springboarded me to creating many more delicious gluten-free cakes. gluten-free chocolate cake, and french butter cake are two of my favorites, but in the summer, you also can’t beat gluten-free peach cake. If you’re a dessert lover in search for good gluten-free recipes, be sure to check them out.
Now on to our recipe!Print
Gluten-Free Cranberry Kuchen
- Combine egg, sugar, milk, and oil.
- Sift dry ingredients; add to egg mixture.
- Mix well.
- Coarsely chop cranberries and fold into batter
- Turn into greased 8×8 pan.
- Sprinkle sugar reserved for topping over cake.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden on the edges.
- Serve warm.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.