We always viewed apple salad as a treat growing up. It was something my brother often begged for – even though he picked the celery out before eating it – and we all gobbled it down any chance we had.
This naturally gluten-free recipe makes me happy. I mean, who knew that a simple mixture of apples, dates, marshmallows, and celery could be so so delicious! I think this is one of those recipes where “the whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts” definitely applies!
I’ve learned though, that there are some good raw apples. Nice crisp, and sweet-tart. Mmm. Perfect for apple salad making!
So what I guess I’m saying is, don’t use your mushy, overripe apples in this recipe. Use good, crisp apples. We got a box of cameo apples with our co-op a few weeks ago, and they were amazing!
Apple Salad Recipe
- 2–3 apples
- 1–2 celery stalks
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 – 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mayonaise (use this recipe to make your own!)
- Core and chop apples. Chop Celery. Mix All ingredients together.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make sure to tell your kids they can’t just eat the marshmallows and dates. 😉