These gluten-free Crockpot Cinnamon Biscuits are the perfect no-fuss brunch treat!
I was reading over at moneysavingmom.com the other day, and saw Crystal’s recipe for making cinnamon biscuits in the crockpot.
First off, I would never in a million years have thought that baking biscuits in a crockpot would actually work.
Secondly, I got so excited because it looked just like the version of monkey bread that my mom used to make when we were kids, and if you know anything, you know that food from one’s childhood is the best. Food. Ever. End of story .
Of course, I had to try these, and I had to make them gluten-free.
The first time I made them, I used my gluten-free drop biscuit recipe but added just enough extra flour so that I could roll the dough into a biscuit-ish shape with my hands so that I could dunk them in the butter.
But that was before I finally found a good gluten-free recipe for traditional cut-out biscuits. So now I’ve tried it with both, and I can definitely say that I like the drop biscuit recipe the best. It’s softer and fluffier, whereas the cut out biscuits are more firm, which is better for spreading butter and jelly on, but in my opinion, cinnamon biscuits are more like monkey bread, so they should be lighter. Right?
So this recipe is customized for the drop biscuits, but you can do it whichever way you like best. 🙂
Now, on to the recipe – These biscuits are so good they’re addictive!
Crock Pot Cinnamon Biscuits (Gluten-Free)
Try these delicious, gluten-free crock pot cinnamon biscuits for your family. They’re so yummy, your whole family will love them.
- 1 recipe of biscuit dough with 2-3 Tablespoons of extra flour mix.
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup raw sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease the crockpot with butter.
- Melt butter on the stovetop and stir vanilla into it. Pour it into a small bowl.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in another small bowl. Roll a walnut sized piece of dough into a biscuit shape. (Note: rolling biscuits out onto a floured surface will incorporate too much flour into your dough making them very dense – thus, the hand rolling method.)
- Dip biscuits into melted butter mixture, then into cinnamon sugar mixture. Put in crockpot in a single layer.
- Turn crockpot on high for about 2 hours – depending on your crockpot of course.
- You can glaze or frost these if want. I ended up making some icing for my icing-fanatic hubby.
- Also, The original recipe says to cover the biscuits with a paper towel while they cook to reduce moisture, but I didn’t, and the bicuits didn’t turn out soggy at all.
- I’m actually so impressed with the way they cooked up in the crockpot that I’m thinking of making all of our biscuits that way – at least for the rest of the summer. Gabriel will be happy to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast without heating up the oven.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.
[…] These cinnamon biscuits are amazing! Find the recipe here […]