I remember the first time I had eclairs.
Basically, a long cream puff, filled with bavarian cream, and topped with chocolate.
I also remember the first time I made them years and years ago, and let me tell you, it makes me VERY thankful for having a stand mixer in my life nowadays because beating all those eggs in by hand is not easy.
Not easy, but worth it. Because eclairs are so good!
I’ve taken these to numerous potlucks, finger food parties and have never brought one home. They’re just that good.
Oh, and if you don’t have a stand mix, and don’t want to beat eggs in (one at at time) by hand, a blender or food processor will work just as well.
Gluten-Free Eclairs Recipe
Gluten-Free Eclairs Recipe
Do you love the classic chocolate eclair but are searching for a gluten-free option? This recipe is delicious!
- Preheat oven to 400º
- line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set aside
- Heat milk, butter, and salt in a small or medium-sized sauce pan
- Heat until butter melts and milk begins to simmer
- Remove pan from heat, and add flour, stirring vigorously
- Return pan to heat and cook, continuing to stir vigorously until mixture begins to pull together into a ball
- Remove from heat, and let cool for five minutes until it’s not too hot to touch
- Transfer the cooled dough into a stand mixer (if you have one)
- Start mixer and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Transfer dough into a pastry bag, or zip-top bag, and cut a 3/4 inch opening in the end or corner
- pipe 2-3 inch “logs” onto parchment-lined pan, smoothing the tops if necessary
- Place in center of the oven, and bake for 10-12 minutes until pastries begin to turn golden-brown
- Turn oven off
- Remove from oven, and slit each pastry with a sharp knife
- Return to oven, and allow pastries to dry out for 30 minutes or so
- Take back out of the oven, and fill with bavarian cream
- Melt chocolate chips, and stir in cream
- Spread evenly over tops of eclairs and let cool
- Serve and enjoy!
Easy Bavarian Cream Recipe
This Bavarian Cream is so good paired with these chocolate eclairs!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whisk together first three ingredients in a sauce pan
- Add milk, mix well, and heat over medium heat until mixture becomes thick, and begins to bubble
- Remove from heat, and add butter
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form
- Set aside
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla into pudding
- Fold in beaten cream
- spoon into piping bag, and use to fill cream puffs, or eclairs
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.