You know how one taste, or sound, or smell can take you right back to your childhood? Monkey bread is that way for me. It was one of those rare breakfasts that mom would make for a special treat.
So soft, so fluffy, and so dripping with gooey cinnamon/butter/sugar.
But of course, it wasn’t gluten-free.
It use to make me sad to think that we had to give up our favorite comfort foods when we went gluten-free.
How silly! You don’t have to give anything up! You just have to learn to make it with different ingredients.
This particular recipe uses primarily whipped egg whites to make up the fluffy batter. Pretty ingenious when you think about it! The protein in egg whites give structure, and help – almost make – the batter rise.
The method here is a little different than traditional monkey bread – or at least, different from the way we use to make it. Since you’re dealing with a batter-like dough that can’t really be handled, you’ll be shrinking the butter, cinnamon, and sugar over the dough, rather than dipping the dough in it. And honestly, that just makes it so much less messy to make!
So yeah, this gluten-free recipe is a total win!
Gluten-Free Monkey Bread RecipePrint
Gluten-Free Monkey Bread
Do you love monkey bread? This delicious gluten-free recipe is the perfect sweet treat.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use light olive oil)
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup rice flour (I use white rice)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons guar gum
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Filling Ingredients:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Grease a medium-sized loaf pan.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy (not stiff, just frothy).
- Add the remaining dough ingredients and stir until quite thick. (This may take a minute). Set aside.
- Combine the filling ingredients with a fork until crumbly.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough in the loaf pan. Sprinkle the filling on top and keep layering until the dough and filling are gone.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bread is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, then invert onto a serving plate.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.