Woohoo! We made it through week 3!
I mentioned last week that the kids had been sick at the beginning of the week. The active sickness only lasted one day for each of them, but what I didn’t realize until two days ago, was that their appetites took more than a week to recover.
I though the kids had really adapted and were just not as hungry anymore.
Nope. As of two days ago, Garrett is back to eating us out of house and home. And he’s only five.
His go-to snack is almond butter and apples. I ordered a five pound bag of almonds through amazon a few weeks ago near the beginning of our Whole30, and we’ve been using those to make our own almond butter for about half the price of pre-made butter. Woot!
It’s super easy, and surprisingly fast to do in the food processor. The Ninja blender didn’t work at all. The nut meal just got stuck in the sides, and I must have scraped that thing down 20 times, and still no butter.
I don’t even know why we have that thing.
So. Grocery shopping. this week was a little crazy. We picked up our first ever Zaycon Fresh order on Monday, and now sport 40 pounds of chicken in our freezer – that should last a while!
Zaycon saves enough money on chicken that it’s worth driving to a town a little farther away to get it, and that town has an Aldi.
Ground beef at Aldi happened to be on sale, so I picked up twenty pounds of that just for good measure. Unfortunately, it turned out not to be such a great measure, because Gabe and I both agree that it shrinks worse even than Walmart’s beef. Boo!
But at least we won’t need to buy meat again for a while.
Because of all this, and the incredible amount of produce we’ve been getting from our local grocery store’s throw away box, I probably won’t buy any groceries next week except, perhaps, for some spinach and sweet potatoes.
Which brings us to This week’s meal plan.
- sausage, apples
- Zucchini Frittata
- sausage, grapefruit
- eggs, sweet potato hash browns
- Sausage, sliced apples
- Sausage-Egg Scramble
- Ground beef patties, sweet potato and apple hash browns
- pork loin, zucchini and yellow squash “noodles” with Italian diced tomatoes (I roasted the pork loin, but it into serving portions, and served with zoodle/sauce on top at the church potluck. yum!)
- hamburgers, sweet potato hash browns, salad
- southwestern omelet, steamed broccoli
- hamburger, cabbage stir-fry
- eggs salad wraps using Wholesome Yum’s Paleo Tortillas (they’re closer to crepes, but they work!)
- Tuna, apples, almond butter (packed lunch to eat while we were working on the house)
- Southwestern Breakfast Bowl
- Chicken Cesar Salad
- Pork Chops and baked kubocha squash (this is Gabe’s default when I’m not home)
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Sheet pan chicken and veggies
- Pizza Stuffed Potato Skins
- Hamburger and sweet potato Hash
- Baked chicken and sweet potatoes with salad
- Freeze-dried strawberries
- Apples with almond butter
- Dried pineapple (I messed up on this one – didn’t see that the pineapple had sugar in it until too late!)
- Freeze-Dried Blueberries