Are you looking for an easy side dish to impress your family? Try this maple bacon brussels sprouts recipe! It’s sweet, savory, and even kid-friendly since our maple glaze virtually neutralizes brussels sprouts infamous bitter aftertaste.
With fall here, a lot of cruciferous vegetables are coming back around, and while we didn’t grow our own brussels sprouts this year, our local stores have been having them on sale, and I couldn’t be happier to fill my fridge with them!
I didn’t think I liked brussels sprouts at all until a few years ago when we found a bacon-cranberry brussels sprouts recipe, but now I have to sate say that this maple bacon brussels sprouts recipe is my absolute favorite.
That salty-sweet from the maple syrup and bacon combined with a little kick from red pepper, and caramelized just a little bit on the brussels sprouts is just so darn good. The first time I made them, I almost ate the whole pound of sprouts on my own. ????
These maple bacon brussels sprouts are a perfect side dish to serve with instant pot chicken and rice, and also, we really loved them served with layered spaghetti. They add a smidge of sweet to an otherwise savory meal, and make it easier to the kids to eat their veggies.
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts Recipe
A couple notes about this recipe:
- This recipe mentions cooking and crumbling your bacon. If you have a freezer full of thick-cut bacon like I do, dicing your bacon while it’s half-frozen and then frying it is also a great option.
- Definitely make sure you use the bacon grease to roast your sprouts. It’s essential for getting that bacon flavor to really permeate your dish!
- I’ve found that the maple glaze neutralizes the bitter taste in brussels sprouts really well, so if you have picky eaters, this recipe is great for them!
Similar dishes you might like:
- Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Simple Roasted Radishes
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic-Parmesan Roasted Summer Veggies
Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- 4 oz. bacon (save 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease!)
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a dash of pepper
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red peper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Fry bacon in a medium skillet, remove from grease, and crumble
- While bacon is frying, quarter brussel sprouts
- drizzle sprouts with 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease, toss to coat, and spread in a single layer on a baking tray
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes
- While sprouts are roasting, combine remaining ingredients to make your maple glaze
- After the ten minutes is up, remove sprouts from oven, drizzle with maple glaze, and toss to coat
- Place brussel sprouts back in oven for about 10 more minutes – until sprouts are fork-tender to your preference,
- Remove from oven, top with crumbled bacon, and serve
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.