We love pizza! But mama doesn’t always have time to roll out the crust and wait for it to rise. So here I introduce you to… (drumroll please) Gluten-free Upside-down Pizza. All the flavors you love, but honestly, less than half the time to make it!
My mom was one of those people who didn’t really care for cooking. She was great at it, could be creative if she wanted to, but mostly, she knew what worked for her and stuck to it.
Now that I’m a mom myself, I totally see the value in that.
She had 4-6 dishes that were universally well loved, and those were the recipes she made for guests, parties, get-togethers, and when we kids came home, and to this day, those (except for layered spaghetti), are still my favorites.
When I got married and moved to Texas, I knew I was going to have to figure out how to recreate some of those recipes with gluten-free flours, because for me, they’re the ultimate comfort foods, right up there with gluten-free egg noodle recipes.
Upside-down pizza is one of the easiest gluten-free conversions you’ll ever make.
It’s so much easier than making regular pizza – instead of making a yeast crust, you simply brown your hamburger or sausage with veggies like onions, peppers, and mushrooms, add sauce, top with cheese, a thin, crepe-like batter, and dried parmesan, and bake.
It’s a crowd-pleaser for sure, and while it’s not truly pizza, it takes about half the time to make.
- Some gluten-free flours absorb moisture, so your batter may be less crepe-like, and more thick pancake batter, or even thick enough that you have to spread with a spatula. No worries!
- I like to use this homemade gluten-free flour mix, but have equally good results with Pamela’s Artisan Baking Mix.
- You can adjust the amount of peppers and onions in this recipe up or down to suit your family. I like to use the full amount for when I take upside-down pizza to a potluck (so I can enjoy them for once haha), but when I make it for the family, particularly the kids, I cut them in half because they don’t like all the veggies. Make it yours!
Gluten-Free UpsideDown Pizza
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey, or sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons oil (I use light tasting olive oil)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Brown ground beef with onions and pepper
- Add mushroom and sauté briefly
- Pour in tomato sauce and seasonings
- Scrap into a 9×13 inch baking dish
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Combine flour, salt, milk, eggs, and oil
- Beat well
- Pour over meat/mozzarella mixture
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top
- Bake in center of oven for 30-35 minute until beginning to brown on top
- Remove from oven and let cool a bit before serving
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.