Poppy seed chicken is one of a handful of recipes that my mother used for entertaining company when I lived at home. It’s easy to make, filling, and I have yet to find a single person who doesn’t like it.
As we’ve added gluten-free recipes to our family repertoire though, poppyseed chicken kind of got left behind. While I do like making crackers from scratch, it’s time consuming – especially when you’re trying to get dinner ready for company. That crunchy cracker topping adds so much to the dish though, that nobody got enthusiastic about eating the plain Jane gluten-free version sans crackers.
I have to admit, that’s why I’m so excited about these Brenton certified gluten-free crackers. They’re light and crispy. Not dense like a lot of gluten-free crackers on the market, so they’re perfect for poppy seed chicken’s crispy, buttery goodness (a.k.a. topping). I also feel much better about eating them since beans are the main ingredient and not grain, as well as each serving containing two grams each of fiber and protein.
Admittedly, this gluten-free version of our family favorite dish is still slightly more complicated than the original because, rather than opening up a can of condensed cream of chicken soup, you make your own – an arguably healthier option even if you’re not gluten-free. This little deviation still only less than five minutes, so I’m calling it a win in every aspect.
For this recipe, it’s really handy to have some of my favorite simple chicken recipe on hand, or cooking chicken breasts in the slow cooker ahead of time is another great option, and shredding it in a stand mixer, rather than chopping it by hand can save a lot of time – especially on large batches.
I used Breton’s white bean with salt and pepper crackers, and loved, like really LOVED, the extra flavor of the pepper. It’s so hard to get that pepper flavor that I love so much, without getting spicy, but this did the trick perfectly! If you don’t have salt and pepper crackers, try adding just a pinch of pepper to your topping – you won’t regret it!
Gluten-Free Poppyseed Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine the milk, chicken broth, cornstarch and slat in a small sauce pan.
- Heat combination over medium heat, stirring.
- Heat and stir until thickened. This should go really quickly as it’s a very small batch, so watch it!
- Stir together chicken, milk/broth mix, sour cream, and poppy seeds
- Spread into an 8×8 inch (two quart) casserole dish.
- Combine crushed crackers and melted butter.
- Sprinkle over the top of casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 20-30 minutes until crackers are beginning to brown on top.
- Serve over brown rice (my preference), or pasta.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Meal Time!
Download this FREE printable family meal plan kit, so you eliminate dinner time stress.