Have you ever tried beef heart? This slow cooker beef heart recipe is the perfect place to start! You’ll love it! After all, the heart is just another muscle.
I love using inexpensive cuts of beef. One of the best ways to keep the meat bill down is to use cheap, less popular cuts and organ meats. This slow cooker beef heart recipe makes it easy, and, it’s a naturally gluten-free recipe!
We don’t actually sell our beef hearts, because heart is Gabriel’s favorite part. He sells the choice steaks and eats the heart. Is that backward, or what? But really, heart is a muscle, just like other meat, it’s not funny tasting like liver, so it’s not a big leap from using beef roast, to beef heart in recipes.
Having kept the hearts from several cows last year, I was able to do some experimenting and find our favorite ways to cook it. This recipe has withstood the test of time, and we’ve made it again and again with each beef we process. We even purchase beef hearts from our friends after they process their own!
Not surprisingly, this slow cooker beef heart recipe took the top spot. I love being able to throw ingredients into a pot, and let it babysit itself until I’m ready to serve it for dinner.
Hearts tend to have quite a bit of fat on them, which you can save and render into homemade tallow. I usually freeze the fat, and save it until I’m ready to render a larger batch of tallow.
This slow cooker beef heart dish is perfect served over a bed of rice, to soak up the juices from cooking in the crockpot, and then top it with homemade sauerkraut. We like to serve with a side of salad, or steamed broccoli and thyme roasted sweet potatoes.
Slow Cooker Beef Heart Recipe
- 1 beef heart (approximately 1 pound)
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 an onion, sliced
- Prepare beef heart by trimming fat, and dicing into one inch cubes. How much time you want to take to devein is up to you. I find that once the meat is cooked, the veins are pretty much indistinguishable, so I don’t like waste much time on this part.
- Toss into slow cooker, and sprinkle with pepper, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. Stir to coat beef cubes.
- Top with slices onions.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve over steamed rice, or quinoa, or for a more low carb dish, riced cauliflower.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!