So there I was, gluten-free recipes in hand, set to make banana bread for breakfast with all those beautifully overripe bananas sitting in the cupboard when I realized I didn’t have any flour. None.
Flour could be ground easily enough of course – except that I needed to do the grinding outside where it was raining cats and dogs.
The thought of making oatmeal instead gave me inspiration: why not try making banana bread with the oatmeal?
The result isn’t the prettiest loaf of banana bread I’ve ever made, but boy was it tasty. And isn’t it cool that you can make a gluten-free great with no special equipment (like a grinder), or flours at all!?
I was super happy with the way both the muffins and the loaf of bread held together – They weren’t really crumbly at all! And the texture was divine.
So what are you waiting for? Go make some banana bread!
Oh wait, you need a recipe? Here you go!Print
Oatmeal Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp *baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 2 large bananas
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (I like to use turbinado or Mexican cane)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place oatmeal in a food processor or blender and blend oats as finely as you can (depending on the size of the food processor, you may need to do this in batches). Mine weren’t anywhere near as fine as flour, they looked more like crumbs.
- Dump processed oatmeal into a separate bowl and mix in cornstarch, *baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and guar gum.
- Place banana in food processor and purée. Add eggs and continue mixing. Add in butter, one tablespoon at a time, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and mix briefly.
- If your food processor won’t hold everything, you can easily mix the dry ingredients in by hand.
- Divide batter into 24 muffin cups, or two loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes (muffins), or 45 minutes (loaves).
- Cool for ten minutes before using a butter knife to loosen edges, and turn onto a cooking rack or flour sack towel.
- Slice, butter, and enjoy!
*Pssst, Rumford’s Baking Powder is aluminum and GMO free!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!