In honor of Thanksgiving day coming up this week, I wanted to share my favorite ever sweet potato recipe. It’s seriously the best! In fact, it’s so good my husband often asks for it as dessert.
I remember not liking sweet potatoes as a kid, but now I realize that it was because a). we only ever had them for Thanksgiving cooked in some sort of syrupy sauce, which, frankly, was just nasty, and b). they were typical grocery store potatoes. I had no idea there was such a difference between homegrown and store-bought. But oh, is there ever!
If you’re thinking about gardening next year, plan to grow some sweet potatoes that will knock your socks off! They’re over the top awesome! (also, white sweet potatoes – specifically, Japanese Murasaki – are the best!)
This recipe made me a sweet potato lover. I’m so glad I found it! So is Gabriel. For a while, after we got married, he got a little sweet potato deprived because I didn’t want to cook the “nasty” things. I admit it, I was wrong! And now it’s a staple side dish/dessert on our table every fall.
A few notes:
- If you’re using a flour mix, be sure it’s a mix that does not contain starch. The starch will make your topping watery once it heats up.
- You can easily make this casserole grain-free by swapping coconut flour for gluten-free flour.
- Another healthy swap: evaporated cane juice for brown sugar!
Sweet Potato Casserole
This delicious and simple gluten-free sweet potato casserole is a great side for any occasion.
- 3 C. mashed sweet potatoes
- 1. C brown sugar
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 1t. vanilla
- 3/4 C. milk
- 1/2 C. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 C. brown sugar
- 1/3 C. gluten-free flour
- 1/3 C. melted butter
- 1C. chopped pecans
- mix well and pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish
- Mix together and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes.
- Bake in 350º oven for thirty minutes.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.