This sweet potato salad combines maple syrup and bacon with sweet potatoes for fun and delicious twist on America’s favorite summer barbecue side dish!
I’ve loved potato salad ever since I can remember. Classic potato salad with lots of mustard is just the best!
But unfortunately, my family never ate sweet potatoes. I mean, my mom would open a can of yams at Thanksgiving, and maybe a few bites would be eaten, but that’s it.
It wasn’t until I met my husband that I started seeing sweet potatoes regularly, and then, after we got married, started eating them regularly.
And you know what? I really like them! It probably helped that I started with sweet potato casserole, which frankly, is more like dessert than a side dish, but it wasn’t long until I was eating them with butter and salt.
And then, we got creative, making -and loving – roasted sweet potatoes, and now, sweet potato salad.
This maple bacon sweet potato salad recipe combines the mildly sweet flavor of sweet potatoes, the tanginess of apple cider vinegar, and woody flavor of maple syrup, with the crunch of celery and onions. And of course, we can’t forget the bacon! We all know that bacon makes everything better. 😉
Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 -1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 green onions
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces
- Gently boil sweet potatoes until fork tender
- Thinly slice celery and green onions
- Fry bacon and crumble
- When potatoes are done, drain well in a colander and return to pan.
- Str in the rest of the ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.