As a mom, I love simple breakfasts. The faster, the better.
Kid breakfasts are cool and all, but guys, sometimes, mama needs something a little more grown-up.
And I don’t know if it’s really lame that I’m calling a dish with bell peppers in it “grown up” or not, but in our family, I’m the only one who eats them, so yeah.
But to me, there’s something really special about the mix of potatoes, onions, and those evil little bell peppers that nobody else in my family will touch.
It hits the taste buds just right.
So some mornings, I get up, and I make a Southwestern Breakfast bowl just for me. I tell the kids it’s “soul food”, and they wrinkle their noses and walk away.
But sometimes I’m nice and make a batch without the peppers for them.
Because we may not all love peppers, but we ALL love fried potatoes and sausage topped with a just-right fried egg – the kids where you break the yolk, and it’s thick, so it slowly runs out into the potato bowl.
Southwestern Breakfast Bowls
If you need some ideas to change up your breakfast routine, these Southwestern Breakfast Bowls are super easy and really tasty. You’ll love them!
- 4 oz. breakfast sausage
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice potatoes
- Boil until almost tender, and drain
- While potatoes are boiling, chop pepper and onion
- In a skillet, cook sausage with onions and pepper over medium heat
- When sausage is done and onions are tender, add potatoes and finish cooking until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Drain any remaining grease, and toss with spices.
- Fry eggs in butter until it the white is done, but the yolk is still soft.
- Divide sausage and potato mixture into two bowls
- Top each with an egg.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.