These soft gluten-free sugar cookies are super easy, a sure-fire crowd-pleaser, and a must-have addition to your gluten-free recipes repertoire.
This recipe is light, and pillowy, just like good sugar cookies should be. In fact, my brother, who’s notorious for making fun of gluten-free treats, ate them up without ever realizing he was taking celiac-friendly goodies from the table!
One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is it gives me a reason to make gluten-free sugar cookies – they’re my favorite! Though I have to say that gluten-free molasses cookies are a close second – I just don’t feel like it’s really Christmas until I’ve made those two cookies recipes.
Although, I’ll be honest, sometimes making gluten-free cookies is kind of scary.
What scares people off the most from making gluten-free cookies? That’s easy, crumbling. That’s what I was always afraid of when I first started baking gluten-free. Some cookies like gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are no-brainers, but sugar cookies are different – I mean, you actually have to roll them out and hope they don’t crumble when you move them to the cookie sheet.
So believe it or not, in the first six years I baked gluten-free, I never made sugar cookies.
But eventually, I got tired of being taunted by those beautiful, soft, frosted sugar cookies at the local grocery store bakery, and decided to bite the bullet and make my own.
It’s really easy once you just buckle down and just do it. And surprise! They don’t crumble or fall apart. They’re soft and fluffy, just like a good sugar cookie should be.
These soft gluten-free sugar cookies – iced, and topped with sprinkles of course – are always a hit at parties! I like to top them with old fashioned, all-butter buttercream icing. Use your favorite Christmas cookie cutters to make fun shapes, and have fun!
Give this amazing recipe a tryPrint
Soft Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
These soft, gluten-free sugar cookies are a real crowd pleaser.
- preheat oven to 350º
- in a large bowl, mix flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sugar.
- Combine well.
- Add butter, egg, 1 tablespoon of milk, and vanilla.
- Mix dough until if comes together, adding the second tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Dough will be stiff.
- Squeeze dough together into a ball.
- Roll out between sheets of parchment paper to somewhere between ¼” and ⅓” thick.
- Cut into rounds, or with shaped cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets, and place the oven for 7-10 minutes until the edges just begin to brown.
- Remove cookies from oven, and allow to cool until set.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Ice as desired.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.