If you know me, you know that I rarely venture into the territory of box-mixes – I just like cooking from scratch so much!
But see, there was this one French Butter Cake recipe that mom found years and years ago, back in the day when all us kids still lived at home.
And it. was. good. The whole family fell head over heals for it.
The butter, the gooey filling, the cake bottom. There wasn’t a crumb left after we finished with it – not a hard feat when you’re a family of ten, but still.
We loved it!
Of course, the whole recipe was created around the use of a box of yellow cake mix.
The advantage to that of course is that cake mix makes it all very fast and easy.
The disadvantage is that it’s hard to find a gluten-free cake mix that you can use cup for cup in a recipe like that.
Notwithstanding, I was in Walmart last week, and bought a Pillsbury cake mix – hey, somebody’s gotta do the research 😉 plus, you can save on Pillsbury with Ibotta so it’s not such a splurge.
And yesterday, I finally decided it was time to try. So with eyes squeezed shut and fingers crossed, I dumped my cake mix in, put it in the oven and (im)patiently waited the results.
Perfection on a plate.
While I’m usually a homemade cake mix fan, I have to say I loved how Pillsbury made it so easy to get the kids involved. “open it up and dump it in” is Garrett’s favorite kind of measuring method. 😉
It’s so fun how the kids want to be involved in everything we do. Even if it’s just holding a reflector so mommy can take pictures.
Although that may be because I promised him a bite afterward.
I like to think my kids will have the same kind of warm memories of helping mama bake in the kitchen, and the deliciousness of the fruit of our labors!
(P.S. Check out pillsbury’s collection of gluten-free recipes on Pinterest for more inspiration!)
Gluten-free French Butter Cake
Gluten-Free French Butter Cake
- Bottom layer:
- 1 Pillsbury Gluten-Free yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Top layer:
- 1, 8oz. block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together first three ingredients (cake mix, butter, and 2 eggs) until completely incorporated.
- In a second large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Press cake mix mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Pour cream cheese mixture on top, and spread evenly.
- Bake in center of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until cake no longer jiggles when moved (the toothpick test won't work on this cake!)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cake is cool, cut into squares and serve.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Meal Time!
Download this FREE printable family meal plan kit, so you eliminate dinner time stress.