Yeah so, I guess you could say I’m really on a black bean kick lately. there are so many awesome gluten-free recipes for black beans out there! It was black bean burgers last week, and then we had black bean brownies for dessert one night. Today, it’s black bean chili.
The first time I made this was the first time I’d ever ehard Gabriel say “this is really good chili!”. Which made me really happy because so often, Gabriel and I don’t see eye to eye when it comes to food. We were both really happy with this chili, and Garrett ate his fair share too.
this recipe is the epitome of frugal food, and that’s just one more reason to love it! The beans only cost you pennies if you cook your own rather than buy them canned – I like to cook an entire crockpot full at the beginning of the week and keep them in the refrigerator for various dishes throughout the week. If there are any leftovers, we simply freeze them. Other than that, aside from the spices, there are only a can of tomato sauce, an onion, and ground beef, the amount of which you can customize to your liking (less beef + more beans = even more frugal dish). You can even make it vegetarian if you like!
So here it is, Our favorite chili recipe:Print
Black Bean Chili
- 4 ½ cups cooked black beans (or three 15oz cans, undrained)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with onion. While it’s cooking, the rest of the ingredients in a pot or saucepan. If you’re not using canned beans, add enough water (or bean broth) to make it your desired consistency.
- Add in ground beef and onion. To enhance flavors, let the soup simmer in a pot or crockpot, for up to several hours.
- Serve with your choice of sour cream, cheese, green onions… or whatever you like on your chili.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.