These gluten and dairy-free tortillas pinwheels aren’t just for parties – they’re perfect for your your kids allergy-friendly lunch boxes too!
Since Garrett has gone dairy-free, he’s had to give up some of his favorite foods, so I wanted to make him something special to kind of make up for it.
So yesterday, while I was out in town for my chiropractic appointment, I stopped by Save-A-Lot in Mineral Wells to picked up the ingredients for dairy-free tortilla pinwheels.
I used to always think of tortilla pinwheels as being loaded with cream cheese, but these dairy-free days, we’ve learned to get creative, and I’ve found that the only thing we need to replace cream cheese is… mashed avocado!
Avocados may not be quite as fatty as cream cheese, but they’re creamy, and the fat they do have is super nutritious, plus, they taste amazing!
Now, since we homeschool, I don’t necessarily pack lunchbox lunches every day – those are reserved for field trip days! – but as a homeschooler, easy lunches are definitely a priority, and making pinwheels out of everyday ingredients makes the kids feel like they’re getting something special. 🙂
Those of you who know our story know that a few years ago, we went through two calf crop failures in a row, and went completely broke.
During that time, we were fortunate that we lived near a small town, where Save-A-Lot was the grocery store. I say fortunate, because when you barely have any money for groceries, you need a budget-friendly store.
These days, our budget looks a whole lot better (in fact, I think it looks pretty good!), but that doesn’t mean I don’t stop by Save-A-Lot when I get the chance. I don’t think it will ever matter how much money I make, I will always be a fan of saving money! Plus, Save-A-Lot stores are always clean and well-stocked, with a friendly, helpful staff.
The biggest reason I seek out Save-A-Lot stores when I can though, surprisingly isn’t the high quality of their store’s brand products – it’s because they carry one of the few potato chip brands that my husband doesn’t have an allergic reaction to! (most brands contain an oil that’s on his “no” list)
I’m happy to say that I’m working with Save-A-Lot to give two of you $25 Save-A-Lot store gift cards. Just fill out the rafflecopter form below, and we’ll draw the winners at random next Wednesday, August 17th.
So go here to find a store near you, and enter up!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Tortilla Pinwheels
- 2 avocados
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning (or Tony’s Creole seasoning)
- 1 package of sliced turkey lunch meat
- 8-10 6” corn tortillas
- Mash avoadoes, and mix in taco seasoning
- Spread a thin layer of avocado mix on a tortilla
- layer turkey on top (I used two slices per tortilla)
- Roll tortillas, and cut into half inch pinwheels with a sharp, serrated knife
- Tips for reducing breakage using corn or gluten-free tortillas:
- Be sure to load up the starting end of your roll with filling so that the tortilla doesn’t have to roll down so small.
- Heat tortilla lightly to make it more pliable
ENTER THE PACK ‘N SNAP SWEEPSTAKES!
• Step 1: SNAP IT: Take a photo of your back-to-school lunch, breakfast or onthe-go snack
• Step 2: SHARE IT: Upload your photo Here or on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook
• Step 3: TAG IT: Make sure to include #PackNSnap to qualify Sweepstakes
(Runs from 7/27-9/7 GRAND PRIZE: $100 Save-A-Lot Gift Card + Ipad Mini 2)
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Save-A-Lot. The opinions and text are all mine.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!