My kids would be content to eat bean and cheese quesadillas for lunch every day, but while Mexican is very nearly my favorite cuisine, momma needs a little more variety in her diet, so I like to mix things up a bit.
Most recently, that variety has been in the form of Mexican pizza. Similar in many ways, but more efficient to prepare, cheaper, since I’m able to get away with using less cheese without the kids noticing, and not to mention, prettier. 😉
This recipe, using packaged corn tortillas, gets filed in my “super easy lunches” category (the one in my brain), but using your own thicker, softer, heartier, homemade corn tortillas takes it into family dinner territory.
One of the reasons I love recipes like this Mexican Pizza, is that it’s a pretty decent balance of nutrition all by itself, with carbs in the tortillas, beans, and cheese, protein in the meat, beans, and cheese, and veggies on top, but if I was making a dinner out of it with sides, I’d probably make guacamole, Mexican rice, and if serving tortilla chips on the side, salsa. That would be a feast!
Mexican Pizza Recipe
Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. chili powder*
- ½ tsp. garlic powder*
- ½ tsp. onion powder*
- ½ tsp. ground cumin*
- 1 tsp. dried oregano*
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt*
- cayenne pepper to taste, optional*
- 1 c. salsa
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 c. refried beans
- 3 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 Roma tomatoe, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- *or use 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Brown beef with with spices and crumble.
- Add salsa and stir
- Spread refried beans on half of tortillas, and arrange on a cookies sheet
- Top each tortilla with ground beef mixture
- Top each with a second tortilla, and sprinkle with cheese, olives, tomatoes, and onions
- Place in oven, and let bake 15-20 minutes until the cheese starts to get bubbly
- Remove from oven and let cool 3-5 minutes before cutting.
- To cut, well, use your favorite method. I like to use a pizza cutter, or depending on how much filling the pizzas have, scissors.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!