I have a little boy who loooooovvvves pancakes. And so, every once in a while, I like to indulge him with one of my favorite gluten-free recipes and make a pancake breakfast.
Now, everybody knows that I make plenty of sugary desserts, but feeding a kid sugar and an excessive amount of carbs for breakfast is not something I want to do, no matter how indulgent I’m feeling.
The old standby around here is usually healthy banana pancakes, which is great! But… October starts next week, which means we need pumpkin!
So I thought, hey, why not switch up the old banana recipe to use pumpkin instead?
It worked great!
Delicious, spicy, pumpkin-y-ness. What more could one ask?
This recipe calls for two tablespoons of flour (which I honestly think could be omitted, but I haven’t tried it yet). You can use coconut or almond meal to keep it grain-free or whatever your regular flour is. I used brown rice flour, and the results were excellent.
Though opening a can of pumpkin is the easiest thing to do, you could also use sweet potatoes – which are excellent – or another type of winter squash (that is, after all, what a pumpkin really is).
Try these tasty pancakes with the recipe below!Print
Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
These tasty pumpkin pancakes are a great and healthy breakfast option for your family.
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin, sweet potato, or other winter squash, puréed
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger – a few shakes of each Or
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add pumpkin and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour about 1/4 cup to batter onto a medium-hot griddle. Bake until brown on bottom, flip, and repeat.
- I encourage you to keep these pancakes relatively small as the larger they are, the more difficult they are to flip.
- Serve with butter and honey, maple syrup, or sorghum.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.