You know how in Amish communities, you drive through and just keep your eye out for signs at houses, telling you what they’re selling?
In our community, there was a friend who made poppyseed bread so good it was addictive. Sometimes, I use to take my earnings at the end of the day from selling jams and other things I made, and go buy a loaf of her bread.
The sweet lemony taste, the tiny crunch of poppyseed, the orange glaze.
It was just perfect.
She has several kids now, and no time to make goodies for the public anymore, and even if she did, we now live seven hundred miles away (insert sad face) but I did get her recipe (insert happy face!), which only took some minor tweaking to make it gluten-free, and just as delicious.
But these? These aren’t just gluten-free, similar to the vanilla coconut flour cupcakes, they contain no grain at all, (in fact, according to The Paleo Mom, we might even be able to call them paleo) so you can imagine the recipe changes that needed to happen for that.
But you know what? It was worth the experimentation, because these grain-free lemon poppyseed muffins are good. SOOO good!
I’m continually amazed at how little coconut flour goes into coconut flour-based recipes. It makes me pretty happy too because a.) I spend less money on flour that way, and b.) there are lots of pasture-produced eggs in there, which makes me feel kind of good about eating dessert-y tasting muffins.
As if I needed more encouragement to eat dessert. HA! That’s a joke.
It’s not often I’ll admit that growing up in an Amish community was a good thing, but these lemon poppyseed muffins will get me as close as anything will. 😉
Grain-free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Grain-Free Lemon-PoppySeed Muffins
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of olive, or melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup evaporated cane juice, or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice or 1T. Lemon juice and 1T. water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (make your own with evaporated cane juice)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Beat eggs, and stir in oil, sugar, salt, vanilla, poppy seeds, and lemon juice
- Mix coconut flour and baking powder together and stir into egg mixture
- Stir well, and beat until smooth
- Divide batter between twelve prepared muffin tins (I like to line my tins with pretty cupcake liners)
- Place in center of oven
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tin
- While the muffins are cooling, mix orange juice and powdered sugar together
- Remove muffins from baking pan, and glaze