Once upon a time, I found a gluten-free recipe in a cookbook called cheeseburger pie. Gabriel said it was boring.
Apparently his taste buds like excitement. I’m sure you can relate.
So we spiced it up a bit, and now we agree that this sausage biscuit casserole (as we renamed it) is pretty hard to beat.
I like the nice, moist, but tender biscuit-y topping, Gabriel likes the kick of the sausage, and we all love the way the layer of cheese in the middle ties them together. I especially love using homemade sausage in this recipe!
We always served this casserole for dinner, but with the renaming, I eventually realized that it would make a pretty awesome breakfast too, so now it’s an all-purpose kind of dish. Hard to beat that!Print
Gluten-Free Sausage Biscuit Casserole
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 smal onion
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon guar or xanthan gum
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Chop onion and fry in a skillet with the sausage, crumbling as you cook.
- Mix flours, starch, baking powder, salt, and guar gum together in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Crack eggs into bowl and beat together on top of flour mixture.
- Add milk and stir everything together.
- Your batter will be quite thin – thinner than pancake batter.
- Spread the cooked sausage and onion into an 8×8 baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Pour biscuit batter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done at 350º.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!