Need an easy dessert bread for your brunch or dinner date? This gluten-free apple streusel bread whips up quickly, and it’s perfect with a cup of coffee!
I love everything about fall. But I suppose that’s a pretty common sentiment. I mean, c’mon! The trees are gorgeous (depending on where you live), the weather is starting to cool off, Pumpkins are everywhere, and…
I gotta say, sometimes I feel a little bit bad during the fall that we (a lot of us that is) skip right over apple in favor of pumpkin. But we can’t forget apples! Not when they’re pretty much the most versatile fruit on the planet.
We made this gluten-free apple streusel bread for the first time last fall, before we started thinking in terms of grain-free and paleo, and to be honest, it’s just too yummy to quit!
There is nothing quite as yummy as a crunchy cinnamon-sugar coating surrounding a soft, tart apple. Add that to the top of a loaf of soft, sweet bread, with yet another layer of – this time soft – cinnamon/sugar/apple goodness inside. Yum!
I probably don’t need to tell you how amazing the whole combination is when it’s hot and slathered with butter.
I always shy away from making whole loaves of baked goods, because I love them so much, and as most of us ladies know, the last thing we need is to load up on sugary carbs. But then I give in and do it anyway, and in this case at least, the kids gobbled the apple bread up so fast that I didn’t have any worries about being tempted by leftovers.
It’s a win-win – they were fully satisfied by their snack, and we had no leftovers. Yay!
Here’s the recipe to try yourselfPrint
Gluten-Free Apple Streusel Bread
This delicious, gluten-free apple streusel bread is the perfect breakfast treat.
- 2/3 cup evaporated cane juice, or white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large apple
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or evaporated cane juice
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Peel, core and chop apple
- Toss with cinnamon and sugar to coat all the pieces
- Set aside
- Cream together sugar and butter
- Beat in eggs and vanilla
- Combine flour mix, salt, and baking powder
- Beat 1/3 of flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture
- Beat in half the milk
- Repeat with the flour mixture, then milk, then last 1/3 of flour.
- Transfer half of batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan
- Top with half of apple mixture
- “cut” apple mixture into great batter lightly with a butter knife (It’s fine to skip this step and have a layer of apples in the middle instead)
- Top with remaining batter
- Top with remaining apples and cinnamon-sugar
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven an let cool 7-10 minutes before removing from pan Caution: Do not allow bread to cool completely in the pan. The Melted sugar from the streusel layer will harden and cause the bread and stick
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.
This looks delicious and I’d like to make it, but how much baking powder? Should that be 1 1/2 tsp?
Yes it should. Thanks for catching that!
Where is recipe? Thanks in advance
You’ll find it below the pictures and description. Just scroll down a bit. 🙂