Find more gluten-free recipes.
Several weeks ago, we were getting ready to take a car trip and I was packing snacks. I thought some French onion dip for our obligatory road trip carrot sticks would be a nice treat, but when I started looking at the ingredients, every single brand contained MSG.
I was sad to walk out of the store with nothing, but MSG is kind of a big “no” in our family.
I’m usually a big fan of homemade ranch dressing or dill dip anyway, so I just rolled with it for that trip, but after that, I was curious, and continued looking at various different brands of French onion dip whenever I went shopping.
Without fail, they all contained MSG.
I think it was a blessing in disguise though, because I had to start making my own dip, and landed on a recipe that is out-of-this-world good!
A lot of the easy French onion dip recipes out there use just sour cream and mayonnaise, and they’re really good, but cream cheese takes it to a whole new level! Worth. Every. Calorie.
BUT, if you don’t want the entire calorie load of cream cheese, you can always substitute Neufchatel.
Try this tasty dip with the recipe belowPrint
Easy French Onion Dip
If you’re looking for a tasty dip for your next party, or just a weekend, this French Onion Dip is the perfect recipe
- 1–2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 – ½ cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounce of cream cheese
- 2–3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt ( or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook onion in oil until very soft and tender and slightly browned. Roughly 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and bell pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Set aside to let cool.
- Combine room temperature cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, salt, and Worcestershire sauce in food processer.
- Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides a few times and adding water as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Add onion mixture and pulse until everything is incorporated.
- Taste test, and add salt and/or Worcestershire sauce as needed.
- Refrigerate in a lidded container.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.