Find more gluten-free recipes.
Several weeks ago, we were getting ready to take a car trip and I was packing snacks. I thought some French onion dip for our obligatory road trip carrot sticks would be a nice treat, but when I started looking at ingredients, every single brand contained MSG.
I was sad to walk out of the store with nothing, but MSG is kind of a big “no” in our family.
I’m usually a big fan of homemade ranch dressing or dill dip anyway, so I just rolled with it for that trip, but after that, I was curious, and continued looking at various different brands of French onion dip whenever I went shopping.
Without fail, they all contained MSG.
I think it was a blessing in disguise though, because I had to start making my own dip, and landed on a recipe that is out-of-this-world good!
A lot of the easy French onion dip recipes out there use just sour cream and mayonnaise, and they’re really good, but cream cheese takes it to a whole new level! Worth. Every. Calorie.
BUT, if you don’t want the entire calorie load of cream cheese, you can always substitute Neufchatel.
Easy French Onion Dip
- 1–2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 – ½ cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounce of cream cheese
- 2–3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt ( or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook onion in oil until very soft and tender and slightly browned. Roughly 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and bell pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Set aside to let cool.
- Combine room temperature cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, salt, and Worcestershire sauce in food processer.
- Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides a few times and adding water as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Add onion mixture and pulse until everything is incorporated.
- Taste test, and add salt and/or Worcestershire sauce as needed.
- Refrigerate in a lidded container.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!