- Inside/under coffee tables and end tables. If you have end tables or a coffee table that is either enclosed, or that you cover with a table cloth, you can fit neatly boxed food underneath. I can fit a single box of (one dozen) quart jars under our end table. One box is better than none!
- In crawl space (Rubbermaid/mouse proof boxes or buckets). If you live in a small house where you struggle to find storage space for everything, odds are, you don’t have a basement. but maybe you have a crawl space. Some crawl spaces are actually quite easily accessible, and you can use it to store a lot of things from food, to winter clothes. Just make sure you use mouse-proof containers such as lidded buckets or Rubbermaid boxes.
- Under desks. Do you have a large office desk? What do you do with the space underneath? There’s often room for to store some neatly boxed food underneath.
- Use bed risers. Having a bed frame that cleared the floor by a grand total of three inches was a major source of frustration for me until my mom introduced me to bed risers. Now I store boxes of quart jars under my bed. Booyah!
- Top shelves of closets. Those top closet shelves can be hard to get to and use efficiently. What better way to use them than to store a selection of home canned goods? I like to store things that I know we won’t be using as often – like jam or pickles – in the harder to access areas.
- Over refrigerator. You can set up an attractive display of stored food over your refrigerator. for some extra space. Jars of colorful pasta, or breakfast cereal come readily to mind.
- Over kitchen or bathroom cabinets. Here again you can make an attractive display over your kitchen cabinets. In one of our previous houses where we had high ceilings and plenty of over-cabinet storage room, I displayed my collection of vintage blue canning jars. I never did count how many jars of food we had up there at one time, but I’d guess it was close to 100.
- Behind appliances. For some reason, our washing machine sits about a foot away from the wall. But I’m okay with that – more storage space for me! Put shelving everywhere. Over and around your toilet, hanging from walls… everywhere!
I know you all have probably got tons of great storage space ideas, so please leave a comment letting me know yours!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!