These healthy chocolate-covered banana bites are the perfect treat for hot weather! Sweet, chocolatey, and still nutritious!
It’s the middle of summer, and that means cold and frozen treats are on the menu every day.
Let’s be honest, something icy on a 100º afternoon is a necessity.
We make our fair share of popsicles, like green smoothie pops, and berry parfait popsicles. One of my favorites to make for my husband is coconut-lime popsicles, and we even make breakfast popsicles as a treat.
But not too long ago, I found chocolate-covered banana bites in Aldi’s freezer section, and oh my word, those really hit the spot. They’re so perfect for when you don’t really want a whole popsicle – just a little treat. I’m not saying these are better than paleo peppermint patties, but they’re right up there. Plus, they’re easier to make and lighter.
I like to use perfectly ripe bananas for this recipe because the flavor melds perfectly with the chocolate, but everybody has their own idea of what “perfectly ripe” means, and that’s totally okay.
Chocolate-Covered Banana Bites
A couple of notes:
- In this recipe, I use a combination of coconut oil, cocoa, and stevia for a healthier treat, but you can use melted chocolate chips and butter to make these – I use a cup of chips to about 2 Tablespoons of butter. Be careful not to scorch it when you melt it, though! And also, be careful not to get any moisture in the chocolate, or it will seize
- I tried using toothpicks and other small things to handle the banana slices in order to maximize chocolate coverage, but they all proved to be slippery. In the end, lifting them out with a fork (underneath the banana, not stabbed into the side) worked best.
- Make sure you keep these frozen solidly. If a banana can find a way to turn brown, it will do it. And to that point, I wouldn’t recommend making more than a week or two’s worth of chocolate-covered banana bites at a time.
Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
Chocolate covered banana bites are a healthy frozen treat that is perfect for summer!
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- liquid stevia
- Slice banana into 1/4-1/3 inch thick slices and freeze
- Combine coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a squeeze of liquid stevia (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- Working quickly so bananas don’t thaw banana, dip slices in oil combination one at a time
- Place each banana slice on parchment paper, stir chocolate, and repeat process with each banana slice
- The chocolate mixture can be quite thin, so you may want to re-dip banana slices after the first coat has hardened.
- Store in the freezer, and keep frozen until ready to eat.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.