This homemade antibacterial cream is a must-have for every mom’s first aid kit!
Summer is on it’s way (and coming fast!), and you know what that means, right? Lots of playing outside, and lots of ouchies.
In fact, if you live as far south as I do (which really isn’t that far), you’re already seeing 80+ degree days and plenty of skinned knees.
When I was a kid, my mom always had some sort of salve on hand to treat our scrapes and bruises. Usually in a small jelly jar, usually green. A homemade antibacterial cream.
That was the method: clean it, put salve on it, stick a band aid over it.
So the first time my husband cut himself after we got married and went tearing through the medicine cabinet shouting “where’s the triple antibiotic ointment?!”, I didn’t know what he was talking about.
I handed him homemade salve. He took it and said “thanks, but I need antibiotic ointment too”.
I replied with “What? No you don’t, that stuff’s not good for you.”
He replied saying that homemade salve wouldn’t kill the bacteria. I shrugged. I mean, hey, I’m still alive and still have all my toes.
But here’s the thing; antibiotic ointments are great at killing the bad bacteria, but not so great at nourishing your body and helping it along in the healing process the way so many homemade bath and beauty products do.
That’s why my mom was such a stickler for those homemade salves.
The essential oils in them – and even the coconut oil – kill those yucky germs, doing the antibiotic job, but then they go on to provide nutrients to help the body do its own job of healing.
I’m not sure I’ll ever convince my husband that we don’t need triple antibiotic ointment from the drugstore in our first aid kit, though he does use our homemade foaming hand soap, but I will tell you hat we haven’t used it in years.
It’s homemade homemade antibacterial cream all the way for us, baby!
Homemade Antibacterial Cream
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive, or sweet almond Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Beeswax pellets
- 10 Drops Lavender essential oil
- 6 Drops Frankincense essential oil
- 5 Drops Lemon essential oil
- Using a double boiler, combine coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax together.
- Then add essential oils and mix well.
- Pour into small glass container and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Use on boo boo’s, cuts and scrapes. Or, let’s be honest, just to soften your hands, because it’s almost as awesome for that as homemade lotion bars!