We haven’t had fried chicken in soooo long. To tell the truth, it’s a gluten-free recipe that I’m just too lazy to bother with. My husband really loves it though, and fortunately for me, as it turns out; this easy, gluten-free oven-fried chicken recipe does the trick quite nicely – without all the standing-over-a-skillet-full-of-hot-oil part.
You know, it’s funny; when we were kids, we always loved the drumsticks. But then, I got a little older and realized that dad was eating the breasts, so they must be better, right? So I no longer wanted the drumsticks and started going for the white meat whenever we had a chance.
Eventually, though it took me years, I realized that the dark meat – the drumsticks and thighs – we much more flavorful and juicier; not dry like the breasts. So now, we’re both back to preferring dark meat.
It’s a good thing too, because dark meat, and drumsticks in particular, are the cheapest chicken in my experience.
Okay, enough of the rabbit trail.
This recipe is pretty good for meats other than chicken in my opinion, though if I’m using beef (preferably tenderized round steak), I’d probably switch out the basil for oregano. In fact, you may notice in the pictures that there are a few pork chops among the chicken legs.
Gluten-Free Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 ½ pounds chicken pieces
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour, or cornmeal
- 1 T. basil or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- oil for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Grease a jellyroll pan, or other baking pans liberally with lard, coconut oil, olive oil, or whatever oil you prefer.
- Mix cheese, flour, basil, and salt and pepper together in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour.
- Dip dredged chicken in milk.
- Dredge in flour a second time.
- Arrange on baking sheet so that chicken pieces do not touch each other.
- Bake in lower half of oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve while hot. But be careful! These babies are super hot when they come out of the oven!
- We enjoyed our gluten-free, oven-fired chicken with a side of stir-fried vegetables, and steamed rice. Delicious!