Last year, when Gabriel found out he was allergic to chicken eggs, he had to stop eating a lot of stuff he loved, so when our little flock of ducks finally started laying eggs a few weeks ago, one of the first things I wanted to do was make lemon bars for him.
He’s really missed lemon bars! It’s one of our favorite gluten-free recipes, but the thing is, we’re really trying hard to eat healthy.
We don’t even have sugar in the house at the moment. (where’s the shocked emoji?)
So I went to work creating a paleo lemon bar recipe. I’m afraid to say, I wasted quite a few of his precious eggs before I finally got it right (mostly, I was using too much arrowroot powder at first and made lemon rubber bars. 😛 ).
But we did finally get it right, and they are so tasty!
All the lemon, none of the guilt that our beloved traditional gluten-free lemon bars gave us.
I think we might really starting to get hang of this paleo thing!
Oh, who am I kidding, Paleo purists would die at the amount of honey going into this thing. But hey, it’s a healthy dessert alternative, right?Print
Paleo Lemon Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350º
- combine coconut flour, 1 Tablespoon honey, and softened butter well, and press into an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake 8-10 minutes until the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Beat eggs
- Add remaining ingredients and beat together well.
- Pour onto baked crust and place in the center of your oven
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until filling no longer jiggles when the pan is shaken
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before cutting and removing from pan.