I’m so excited to share this Lavender Lemon Homemade Laundry Detergent Without Borax with you. It’s a mouthful of a name, but it’s surprisingly easy to make!
I’ve had an affinity for making homemade homemaking products almost ever since I can remember, and certainly long before I knew anything about how ingredients and chemicals in what we use can affect our bodies.
I wanted to make homemade soap long before I knew that commercial soap was hard on your skin.
I wanted to make homemade lotion long before I knew commercial lotions did more long term damage than short term good.
And the list goes on. It’s just so satisfying to make your own stuff!
One of the first things I wanted to make was homemade laundry detergent. Especially after I had my first child and found that he was sensitive to the detergent I washed his diapers in.
And I did make homemade liquid laundry detergent off and on after that – switching it out with Thieves® laundry detergent now and then when I found myself bogged down with too much to do, and too little time for making homemade goodies.
Today, however, I’m making powdered homemade laundry detergent without borax. To be honest, this recipe switch is as much to keep things simple as any other reason. Plus, I do love the lavender lemon scent combination on my laundry!
In the recipe below, I’ve linked to the various ingredients on Amazon, but you can also find most of them at your local store’s laundry aisle.
Lavender Lemon Homemade Laundry Detergent Without Borax
- Using a cheese grater, grate one bar of soap into a large bowl.
- Add washing soda, baking soda and citric acid to bowl.
- Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Add essential oils.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. It will fizz a bit, but that is just the vinegar reacting with the baking soda.
- Mix into the soap mixture. The vinegar helps soften your clothes. If it doesn’t get too wet, you can add more than 1 tablespoon, but I don’t recommend adding more than 2.
- Add mixture to an airtight container.
- Use 1/4 cup per load.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!