When it comes to homemade comfort food, it’s hard to beat this instant pot turkey chili recipe. It makes an easy recipe even easier!
One of my favorite things about inexpensive groceries is that they often make the tastiest dinners.
Ground turkey for instance. Our grocery store, HEB, has good quality frozen ground turkey for (usually) $1.25/lb.
That’s a great price! Especially when you compare it to ground beef. Another popular meat choice in this area for chili is ground pork – which again, isn’t quite as expensive as beef, but definitely not the frugal, delicious choice that turkey is.
And of course, aside from the turkey we have beans – cheap, even if you buy them canned, though I like to can chili beans myself to save wasted packaging, money, and know my ingredients are quality. When we make chili though, we don’t use beans because they’re cheap, we use them because chili without beans is incomplete – the frugal aspect is a happy footnote.
And the rest? Well, onions and canned tomatoes are excellent frugal staples.
My husband and kids like to eat their chili with homemade cornbread, which is another frugal staple.
But y’all, we don’t eat chili because it’s cheap, we eat it because it’s good. Chili warms our inside up on a cold day, and it makes us happy.
Or at least, it makes me happy, and I’m guessing if you’re reading this recipe, it makes you happy too. 😉
Another thing that makes me happy is my instant pot.
So long slow cooker, because the instant pot does your job, and so many more.
I used to brown my turkey and sauté onions in one pan, then transfer it to the slow cooker.
Now, with instant pot turkey chili, the whole recipe is contained in one pot, which simplifies cleanup tremendously.
That said, the steps are pretty much the same.
It’s just that instead of two pots, you’ll use just the one.
And instead of babysitting a simmering pan on the stove as you would for stove top chili, you’ll be able to set it and forget it, just like you would the slow cooker.
So the instant pot turkey chili recipe is a win from all directions.
There’s just nowhere to go wrong.
But for now, let’s focus on our instant pot turkey chili!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce)
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (I sometimes use all crushed tomatoes because my kids don’t like diced)
- 1–2 cans chili beans
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 cups water or beef broth
- Select Instant Pot setting “Sauté”
- Add ground turkey and onion to pot, cooking and stirring until meat is brown, onions are translucent, and moisture is mostly evaporated. The turkey I buy is generally pretty lean and I don’t find it necessary to drain the meat, but use your judgement here
- Mix in tomatoes, beans, and seasoning
- Add up to 2 cups of water or beef broth to reach desired consistency
- Place lid on Instant Pot and select “beans/chili”
- Toggle time setting to 12 minutes
- Leave in pot on the “keep warm” setting up to 2 hours until ready to serve.