Have you ever found a great sale on lemons and wondered if you should get a bunch of them, or if you did, what you would do with them all? Or maybe you wondered how to freeze lemon juice.
I have! In fact, a friend recently gifted us with a bushel box full of lemons. Yes, a bushel box! That’s a lot of potential lemon juice!
We’re doing several things with them (more on that later), but the first thing we wanted to make sure of, was that we had a large quantity of frozen lemon juice stored up for future recipes and lemonades. Bottled juice is great for making easy goat cheese, or buttermilk substitutes, but when it comes to flavoring, fresh squeezed just can’t be beat!
If you’ve never frozen lemon juice before, or even if you have, this is by far the best method I’ve yet to find!
How To Freeze Lemon Juice
Roll your lemons hard on a counter top to kind of break up the insides and make them easier to juice.
- Cut the lemons in half
- Juice them. I’ll be honest; this part is hard, even if you have one of these super-cool Kitchen Aid attachments like my mother-in-law (who graciously let me borrow it).
- Pour your juice into ice cube trays, and freeze.
This part is brilliant! If makes the juice so much more accessible.
- Once the juice is frozen, pop it out of the ice cube trays. The great thing about this is that lemon juice comes out of the ice cube trays a lot easier than frozen water. No need to run hot water over the bottom of the tray!
- Dump the lemon juice cubes into freezer bags and put them back in the freezer.
- Why, you may be wondering, bother with the extra steps of freezing the lemon juice in ice cube trays when it’s so much easier to just pour it straight into freezer bags and be done with it?
Well, it’s pretty simple; this way, when you want a little bit of lemon juice, you can just reach in and grab a cube – you don’t have to thaw an entire bag.
And it’s pre-measured! Standard ice cube trays hold 1 oz. of liquid, which is 2 Tablespoons or 1/8 of a cup. So it’s really easy to get exactly the right amount of lemon juice for your recipe!
So, the next time you see lemons on sale, think about how you can freshly squeezed lemon juice at your fingertips for making lemonade next summer – when lemon prices are much higher!
Take The Guesswork Out Of Meal Time!
Download this FREE printable family meal plan kit, so you eliminate dinner time stress.