This gluten-free zucchini cheese bread is a simple quick bread recipe. Moist, and bursting full of onions and cheese flavor, it’s the perfect summer savory treat!
What’s the easiest vegetable to grow? You can grow a lot of easy summer vegetables, but zucchini has to sop the list! And it’s easy to have so much you don’t know what to do with it all. If you’re a small family like us, it doesn’t take much to have too much either.
Last summer we grew mostly yellow summer squash instead of zucchini, but the two are pretty much interchangeable. For instance, you can easily turn these summer squash pickles into zucchini pickles.
But for pretty much everything – even if it’s just a simple stir fry – I have to admit that I really prefer zucchini over yellow squash. Maybe it’s the color – gluten-free zucchini bread just isn’t the same without the green flecks showing – or maybe the flavor’s just a bit different.
But, I’d wager this recipe is a little bit different than zucchini recipes you made in the past, so let me tell you about it.
Are you familiar with cheddar bay biscuits? You know the ones served at Red Lobster, and that you can buy a mix for to make your own?
They’re so good right? This bread is similar. It has that same cheddar and onion flavor, with a crusty, crunchy crust that is just to die for.
(btw, if you’re looking for a gluten-free savory biscuit, we love these gluten-free ham and cheddar biscuits!)
I originally found this recipe on Closet cooking, and knew I had to adapt it to be gluten-free, because my husband, who has a wheat allergy, would love it.
It was surprisingly easy to adapt, and I only made a few changes, really.
Gluten-Free Zucchini Cheese Bread
- The first one was changing the sour cream to greek yogurt. One of the things most commonly lacking in gluten-free baked goods is protein. We tend to add a lot of starch to our flour mixes, and use fairly low protein flours (compared to wheat). While using a fatty ingredient like sour cream would normally be a good idea to help keep your bread from drying out, the zucchini would already be doing this, plus there’s plenty of fat between the butter and the cheese. So adding some protein back for a more structured load works best here.
- Another change I made was with the leavening agents. I chose to use 100% baking powder rather than the baking soda mix as I’ve had better success with that in gluten-free quick breads and muffins.
- And of course, the other big change is the flour. In the pictures you see, I used LiveGFree pancake and baking mix (I’ve linked to it, so you can see it but definitely buy it in store at Aldi where’s 1/4 the price) with 2 Tablespoons of the flour substituted for 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. However, this recipe isn’t super picky. Our favorite homemade gluten-free flour mix works as well, and you could likely substitute your own favorite high-quality gluten-free flour mix.
Gluten-Free Zucchini Cheese Bread
Soft, moist, and packed with cheesey flavor with – my favorite – a crunchy crust. This gluten-free zucchini cheese bread is the perfect savory summer treat!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (unsqueezed – you need that moisture!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 cups of gluten-free flour mix
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine zucchini, onions, eggs, yogurt, and butter and stir to mix well
- Stir in cheese
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt
- Add to wet ingredients, and stir well – that batter should be a bit stiff
- Pour batter into greased 9×5 inch loaf pan
- Bake for about 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes
- Slide butter knife around edges to separate bread from pan
- Turn onto a cooling grid, and let cool, or place or slice and enjoy right away!