Looking for the perfect summer dessert? These gluten-free strawberry-lime bars are deliciously sweet and tangy, will all the bright flavors you want on a hot day!
Y’all, it’s been a long time since I made a dessert just because I wanted a dessert.
None of this makes a healthy version of a dessert, or something healthy that we’re calling a dessert – not that some of those things aren’t mind-blowingly delicious (I’m looking at you healthy no-bake cookies!).
I suppose I could have easily whipped up a batch of paleo lemon bars, and just added some strawberry purée, but today, we went more traditional.
Can I still call them healthy? After all, in some circles, brown rice IS still considered a healthy food, and this gluten-free flour mix is full of brown rice. Also, it has eggs in it… and strawberries…
And at this point, I’m just rambling.
But seriously, how good are these bars?
But yeah, these strawberry-lime bars (which could easily be strawberry-lemon bars if you don’t happen to have any lime juice), will make your tastebuds sing!
Sweet but tangy, with lots of fruity flavor sitting on what is basically a crust made of sugar cookies.
Oooh, another potential (faux) health point; I use turbinado sugar instead of white sugar (pats self on the back).
I guess the bottom line is I don’t have to justify the occasional deliciously less healthy dessert when the rest of my day consisted of spinach, chicken, and Garlic-Parmesan-roasted summer veggies.
Just kick back and enjoy a bright, tangy, summery dessert for crying out loud!
(Also, I had to eat carbs in some form to fuel my workout ;))
Gluten-Free Strawberry Lime Bars
These delicious strawberry lime bars are the perfect summer treat.
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
For the Filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup strawberries, puréed
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2–3 teaspoons zested lime peel (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine crust ingredients and mix well.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the crust begins to turn a light brown.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Beat filling ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour over warm crust.
- Return to oven, and bake for and additional 15-20 minutes until filling is set, and slightly brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven, and cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle generously with extra powdered sugar.
- Use a butter knife to loosen lemon bars from the edges of the pan.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut bars, and remove from pan.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.