These gluten-free carrot muffins are perfect for a spring breakfast treat. Soft, fluffy, and full of delicious carrot cake flavor with a fraction of the sugar.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for carrot cake. That delicious sweet cinnamon flavor and the subtle texture of carrots get me every time.
But I also know that carrot cake is not a breakfast food – even if they’re paleo carrot cupcakes – unless it’s my birthday.
Which is why we need these carrot muffins, friends. They’re a carrot cupcake turned breakfast food.
My kids adore these muffins, and every time I think I’ve made plenty to last a while, they’re gone in the blink of an eye. I think they may prefer them over even gluten-free zucchini streusel muffins.
And while I’m sure we’ll have plenty of those during the summer when we’re growing zucchini, carrot muffins are perfect for late winter and spring (you know how much I love seasonal eating!), especially leading into the Easter season.
I probably won’t try to count how many times I made these in February alone, but let me tell you, it was enough to know this recipe is solid. Very solid. We made them both gluten free and not gluten free. Since some of us in the family have food allergies, and some don’t, that’s a pretty common theme for us.
Gluten-free Carrot Muffins
- To make quality gluten-free carrot muffins, I prefer to use either my homemade gluten-free flour mix, or Pamela’s baking mix. Other mixes, such as King Arthur gluten-free flour Work well too.
- If you’re not interested in making them gluten-free, Sub all-purpose flour. Works like a charm!
- No need to peel your carrots. Just make sure they’re clean. #timesaver
- If you have a food processor with a shredder attachment, it makes quick work of shredding. If not, a box grater works really well (that’s what I used in the video below).
- Do note that carrots can turn green sometimes after they’re even baked. it’s a reaction to the baking soda, and they still taste the same.
- Include some add-ins. I love pecans in my carrot muffins, and walnuts are great too! Other add-in ideas are raisins or Craisins, if you like to add some textures.
Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins
These delicious gluten-free carrot muffins are the perfect breakfast option- they taste so good you won’t believe they’re good for you!
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded carrots (about 2 large)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (I use light olive oil)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, craisins, etc. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt
- Shred carrots and set aside
- In a separate bowl, beat oil, brown sugar, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together
- Stir in carrots, nuts, and other add-ins (if using)
- Add flour mix and stir until just combined
- Grease or line a muffin tin, and divide batter between six cups, filling each about 7/8 full
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, and muffin tin to let cool
- serve, and enjoy!
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.