These gluten-free blueberry banana muffins are easy to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert! We love the moistness of the banana muffin with bursts of juicy blueberry!
I used to think I was a natural night owl – until I discovered that as a mom with young kids, my one chance to enjoy leisurely baking by myself was when the kids were in bed.
As much as I enjoy doing other things, none of them really motivated me to get out of bed early like making something yummy for breakfast.
And I’m grateful that catalyst has helped me develop the habit of getting up much earlier than I used to. Not that there’s anything wrong with being a night owl, but since my husband isn’t one, our schedules didn’t line up very well.
Now that the kids are older, I don’t feel the need the solace of getting up early to bake by myself. But I still get up much earlier than I used to. I just put that energy into running before the day gets hot instead. (somehow that doesn’t seem like a fair trade.)
One of the products of those early morning baking sessions? These delicious, moist, gluten-free blueberry banana muffins. Easy to make (because aren’t muffins always?), and ridiculously tasty!
My sister made a batch of traditional (wheat) blueberry banana muffins for us once, and they were so good, I knew I had to develop a gluten-free equivalent.
We loooove blueberries in our breakfast! One of our favorites is gluten-free blueberry scones, and when I’m feeling indulgent, blueberry syrup on coconut flour pancakes. When the kids are helping bake, they love to make lemon blueberry mini donuts. and lately, I’ve been switching out the pineapple for blueberries in my morning green smoothie.
But classic, blueberry banana muffins are hard to beat any time of day, no matter what other awesome blueberry recipes you may have on deck.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
- These muffins, of course, use mashed banana. I use a potato masher, and don’t worry too much about getting all the chunks blended, because I like them. If that’s not your jam though, try using a food processor, or baby food grinder!
- These muffins contain hardly any fat. I like to make low-fat muffins to use as pre-run breakfast in the morning when I need mostly carbs. However, As such, they may not have a lot of “staying power” to get you through the whole morning unless you slather them with butter.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
If you love blueberries, these gluten-free blueberry banana muffins will be a sure hit in your home.
- 2 medium-sized overripe bananas
- 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane juice)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if your flour mix already contains gum)
- 1 cups of blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Purée bananas in a food processor or blender
- Add yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and sugar
- Pulse to mix
- Combine flour, baking powder, bakign soda, salt, and xanthan gum in a separate bowl
- Add to food processor and pulse to combine
- Stir in blueberries by hand
- Divide evenly between twelve greased (or cupcake liner-lined) muffin cups.
- place in center of preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins begin to brown and are firm to touch (the toothpick test won’t work on these because of the blueberries)
- Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes before removing from muffin tin and serving.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.