Have you ever made a gluten-free recipe where you looked at the finished product and though “eh, that’s not really how I imagined it would turn out” but then you take a bite and thing “holy guacamole, that’s good!”
That’s how it was with this banana coffee cake. I thought it would be denser. I didn’t expect it to rise so much.
But when I tasted it. Oh. My. Word. It was light, fluffy, tender. Perfection.
Sorry Alton Brown, but you got this one wrong. Gluten-free does not equal boring.
Want proof? I had to get up and go to the kitchen several time while writing all that to sample the cake… again. I strategically made right before bedtime to take with us to church tomorrow (not that there’ll be any left). Now that the kids are in bed, it’s my writing time, and I’m not getting much done with this cake tasting business going on.
In the morning, I’ll take pictures. It’ll be less fluffy and more coffee cake like by that time, I’m sure. 🙂
For all the amazingness of this gluten-free banana coffee cake, it’s still not something I would make all the time. Why? Because one whole cup of butter, that’s why. While butter isn’t something I necessarily shy away from on a health basis, the price is cringe-worthy – even with stocking up during sale times.
It’s still a great treat though, and it was a great way for me to use up some overripe bananas that we had (we still have five more bunches – not kidding. You want some?) The cake itself is surprisingly un-sweet with only 1/3 cup of sugar distributed throughout an 8×8 inch cake pan. The streusel topping makes up for that though, in all it’s cinnamon-y sweetness.
So maybe you’re tired of my talking and want to make this for yourself. Yes? Well then, here ya go!
Gluten-Free Banana Coffee Cake Recipe
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cold
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas
- 1/3 cup milk (non-dairy substitute may be used)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine topping ingredients together until crumbly. A food processor works fabulously for this.
- Set aside.
- Combine dry cake ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, mashed bananas, and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. I have a thing with food processors, and mixed the whole shebang directly in there.
- Pour into a greased, 8×8 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes before removing from pan.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.