Hummus is a traditional middle Eastern dish that ir an incredibly easy – and frugal – gluten-free recipe to make at home.
It’s no secret that I love chickpeas. Their high protein and fiber content make them an excellent addition to nearly any diet. Maybe that’s why I’m obsessed with this recipe. I love it. Smooth, tangy, spicy, mmmm. Served with pita chips, it’s perfection.
Lately, I’ve been using it as a dip for my veggies. Mostly carrots and some peppers. It’s a great way to add some extra protein and fiber into yours snacks.
If you have a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, you should try this!
Easy Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini*
- One large garlic clove, minced (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas (also known as garbonzo beans) or 1 can
- Dash of ground paprika and more olive oil for serving
- Combine all ingredients except chickpeas and paprika in food processor and blend well.
- Add in the chickpeas, and blend until smooth.
*I know that tahini isn’t a very common ingredient for some of us. I only happened to have some on hand when I first tried this because it was given to me. So… I’ve found that making hummus without tahini still makes excellent results. Don’t let the tahini scare you off of making this stuff!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!