Don’t laugh, but this DIY Hair Detangler With Essential Oils has been a life saver for my relationship with my daughter. 😉
I remember when I was a kid, getting my hair brushed was torture. It felt like my mom was just trying to rip the hair out of my head.
But I guess I kind of forgot what it was like.
No worries, my daughter reminds me every day.
For some reason, little girl hair is just ridiculously prone to knots and rat’s nests.
I’m sure she feels about me the same way I felt about my mom, and I admit, I get a little bit impatient sometimes and just want to get the hair brushed as quickly as I can.
The only thing that helps, of course, is a good detangler. So why in the world is it so hard to find a detangler at the local drugstore that’s good???
I suppose it’s a blessing in disguise, though, because without my commercial detangler woes, I never would have been desperate enough to make my own – though let’s be honest, as someone who already makes homemade toothpaste and antibacterial salve, that really should have been my first go-to!
How to Make DIY Hair Detangler at Home
Why would I want to use a detangler full of ingredients I can’t pronounce when I could make my own at home and know that everything I put on my daughter’s hair is actually good for it?
Sometimes we take shortcuts and choose second-rate options because we’re in a hurry – that’s just life, and I did it just a few days ago when the kids wanted nachos for dinner. It was easier to buy refried beans at the moment than to make my own.
But thankfully, making homemade detangler is a once-in-a-while thing that doesn’t take a lot of time.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Hair Detangler
You may not have all these ingredients in your pantry. However, you can easily get them on Amazon:
For the essential oils, I highly recommend getting them through Young Living, as their Seed to Seal guarantee is unparalleled in the essential oil industry.
DIY Hair Detangler With Essential Oils
If hair brushing time is a battle in your home, give this homemade hair detangler a try.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1/8 cup distilled water
- 1 teaspoon glycerin
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- 3–4 drops argan oil
- 10–15 drops lemon essential oil
- 10–15 drops lime essential oil
- 10–15 drops orange essential oil
- Spray bottle
- In a small mixing bowl, add distilled water and glycerin. Glycerin helps condition and soften your hair. It also lubricates the hair to make brushing easier.
- Add apple cider vinegar, which helps remove reside build up and makes hair shiny.
- Add aloe, which also conditions and softens hair. It also can promote hair growth and relieve itching.
- Add argan oil, which moisturizes and nourishes hair. It helps repair hair that is dry, damaged or frizzy. IT also makes hair shiny and can help comb or brush through the hair easier.
- Add lemon essential oil. This oil helps keep hair clean and soft. It is great if you have hair that tends to be oily.
- Add lime essential oil. This oil helps reduce dandruff and helps alleviate dry scalp. It also reduces frizz and helps make dull hair look shiny and vibrant.
- Add orange essential oil. This oil can help moisturize your hair and leave it smelling fresh and clean!
- Whisk everything together
- Using a funnel, add mixture to spray bottle. Top with ball and lid.
- Spray on wet or dry hair to help calm tangles and make brushing easier.
Keywords: diy hair detangler, homemade hair detangler, hair detangler spray, hair detangler with essential oils, how to make homemade hair detangler
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.