My husband introduced me to coconut sticky rice with mango a few years back, and it’s become one of our favorite desserts. you’ll love it too!
Gabriel and his family spent several years as missionaries in the Philippines when he was young, and he still hasn’t stopped talking about the Philippino sticky rice.
It took me a while to figure out what he meant. When you google “how to cook sticky rice” you get instructions on exactly that.
I’ve since found out that what he remembers is commonly referred to as coconut sticky rice, or sticky rice with mango.
What it is, is a thick pudding made with sticky (sometimes called sweet or glutinous) rice, and coconut milk, sweetened with cane sugar (Jaggery, if you want to be really authentic), and then topped with toasted coconut, mango, and sometimes banana.
In many of the recipes, including this one, the pudding is spread into a pan, chilled, and cut into squares before serving.
I really love that this recipe is unusual and exotic enough to give guests a special treat but normal enough that you can serve it without worry that picky guests will be turned off.
Toasting the coconut, though not strictly necessary, creates more depth of flavor and added sense of gourmet. There are two ways you can do it.
- Place coconut on a cookie sheet, and bake at 300 until golden brown
- Place the coconut onto a skillet, and cook over medium, stirring constantly until the coconut turns golden brown. As you can see in the pictures, this method carries with it the risk of burning with a split second of inattention.
Confession: these squares are actually topped with canned peaches because I didn’t have a mango.
Try this delicious recipe today!Print
Coconut Sticky Rice With Mango
If you’re feeling adventurous for dinner, give this tasty mango sticky rice with coconut recipe a try- it’s delicious!!
- 1 cups long-grain sticky rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw cane or palm sugar, Indian jaggery or packed brown sugar
- 2 pieces banana leaf (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 Mango, pealed and cut into desire portions
- 1 banana
- Combine first three ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 20 minutes (or more) until the rice is tender. The mixture should be pudding-like, and very thick.
- Sitr in sugar.
- Grease and 8×8 inch dish.
- Transfer sticky rice into the dish, using a rubber spatual to scrape out all the contents, and smooth down the top. Or you can spread the mixture onto greased Banana Leaves for authenticity and subtle flavor.
- Allow to cool. refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cut sticky rice into four equal portions. Top with mango, banana, and toasted coconut on a serving plate.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.