Cheesy Broccoli Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2–3 cups frozen broccoli florest
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 2 cups cooked, chopped turkey or chicken, or 1 lb or browned ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 2 cups mik (divided)
- 1/4 cup (half stick) or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube potatoes. Cover with water, and simmer until tender
- While potatoes are cooking, chop onions and carrots
- Combine with corn, and broccoli in a second large pan, and cover with turkey stock
- Simmer until broccoli and carrots are tender
- When broccoli is done, add turkey or chicken
- Stir in cheese
- Combine 1 cup of milk with corn starch, and then add to broccoli mixture, stirring until thickened
- Don’t forget to add salt and pepper to taste!
- When potatoes are done, mash with salt and pepper
- Tip: Don’t add butter and milk until potatoes are fairly well mashed. This helps get the lumps out.
- Add butter and milk, and mash well
- Pour broccoli/turkey mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole
- Top with mashed potatoes
- Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes until the gravy under the potatoes in bubbling up.
- Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving.