Oh my goodness you guys.
We somehow managed to end up with a boatload of apples and corn tortillas at the same time a few weeks ago, so as you can imagine, we’ve been eating a lot of Mexican food, and apple desserts.
But with this recipe, we combined the two, and came up with something lovely – apple pie quesadillas.
So. much. deliciousness.
Spice-rich apple pie filling inside a toasted crust, and drizzled with cinnamon-sugar glaze.
I don’t often like messy food, but after one bite, I knew that these babies were worth getting messy for!
I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I didn’t leave a lot of the first batch for the kids and Gabe to sample and had to make a second just for them. oooooops.
Using canned apple pie filling is a great way to turn this into a quick and easy dessert, but if you have the time, I urge you to make this filling recipe, because it. is. good. So good.
Buttery, cinnamon-y good.
Not a bad way to make use of apples by the boatload!
Apple Pie Quesadillas
Apple pie Quesadillas
- 2 medium-sized apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cups water
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tablespoons water
- Peel, core, and finely dice apples.
- Place in a bowl and toss with granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples, and stir-fry for about a minute.
- Stir in water while cooking apples through.
- The mixture should be thick, but if it gets too thick, add more water.
- Heat another ungreased skillet or griddle.
- Once it’s hot, place a tortilla on the skillet, and spread one third of the apple pie filling on it.
- Top with a second tortilla.
- Fry until the bottom is toasted.
- Flip, and fry until second side is toasted.
- Repeat until all the apple filling is used.
- Let quesadillas cool to set up for five minutes or so before cutting – it makes them SO much less messy!
- Combine powdered sugar, and 2-3 teaspoons of water to make an icing.
- Optionally, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to icing.
- Drizzle onto quesadilla wedges. Yummy!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!