Beans. Love ‘em, or hate ‘em?
I kind of grew up on beans, and think of them as comfort food. It’s only been recently that I learned how many people love to hate them.
What’s the deal y’all? They’re a great source of nutrition with a decent amount of protein!
Anyway, if you’re looking for a delicious recipe that’s easy to make in large batches, then this is your recipe! It’s perfect for the slow cooker, and for potluck get togethers or cookouts. It’s also a great recipe canning using the method outlined in how to can baked beans.
One of the things you’ll love about calico beans, is how easy it is to either make them vegetarian, or add ground beef, or sausage to satisfy your inner cave man. Just brown as much meat as you want, and add it to the pot!
My favorite addition is kielbasa sausage. Our local butcher makes pork kielbasa that is just to die for!
But anyway, back to the beans. I have used every combination of beans under the sun for this recipe, and just about all of them taste great! Unfortunately, some of them look so similar after they’re cooked that you can’t tell them apart unless you look closely.
For that reason (partly), my favorite combination is red or pinto beans, black beans (or kidney beans), and baby lima beans. Unfortunately, the hubby and the kids don’t like lima beans. Ha! So I usually use a variety of white beans instead.
Get ready to make a batch of perfect, hearty fall comfort food!
Vegetarian Calico Beans Recipe
Amish Calico Beans Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups cooked buttered beans
- In a skillet, melt butter and add chopped onion.
- Cook until translucent.
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot or slow cooker and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, more ketchup, brown sugar, etc.
- Simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Or cook in the slow cooker on low for several hours.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!