Looking for a way to use some of that zucchini in your garden that’s a little different, and absolutely delicious? Try this easy Summer Italian Zucchini Soup! This recipe is super simple, and even low carb, but packed with flavor.
Traditionally, we think of soup as being fall or winter food.
And why not? it’s warm, hearty, and satisfying on a cold day.
But summer soup is a great thing too!
You may expect cold recipes like mango iced tea right now with summer just beginning. But right now being the first of June down here in Texas, we have so many zucchini coming out of the garden, and the onions are ready to harvest, as well as tomatoes starting to ripen.
With the sausage we have in the freezer from the early spring hogs, this is the perfect time to make Summer Italian Zucchini Soup.
This soup is super easy to make, with lots of summer flavor combined with an herbaceous, Italian aroma.
One of the things that’s so great about zucchini and so many other summer vegetables is that while they’re packed with micronutrients that nourish your body, they’re relatively low calorie/carbohydrate.
I’m a huge proponent of eating enough, obviously, but high volume, low-calorie density means you get to eat more bulk.
A big, satisfying bowl of soup? Not very many carbs.
In fact, your main calories come from the sausage, which, if you use high-quality pork like our pastured pigs, will be about 90% lean.
You know how to build a healthy plate by filling it half full of non-starchy vegetables? You can definitely do that here.
But what if you want/need something a little more calorie-dense? I’d add some potatoes, and a little more broth to support them. Potatoes will take on the Italian seasoning and blend with the tomatoes really well.
My husband and I absolutely love this summer Italian Zucchini Soup, and my kids tolerate it. Not gonna lie, they’re picky littler boogers. But I guess putting zucchini, AND onions, AND tomatoes was just too much to ask to get a “love” reaction from them.
For their sake, we serve this soup with a side of gluten-free sandwich bread and butter.
Other zucchini recipes worth making:
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
- Whole30 Zucchini Frittata (my kids actually did love this one!)
- Gluten-free zucchini Streusel muffins
- Gluten-free zucchini pancakes
Summer Italian Zucchini Soup
If you’re looking for a delicious summer soup, you’ll have to give this one a try
- 1 lb of Italian sausage or your favorite breakfast sausage.
- 1 onion
- 4 zucchini
- 4 medium tomatoes, or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage and onion together in a skillet
- Wash and slice zucchini, removing ends
- Add to skillet and stir fry for just a minute or two to help infuse zucchini with sausage flavors
- Transfer to dutch oven
- Core and dice tomatoes (or open can of tomatoes), and add to dutch oven
- Add chicken broth and seasonings
- Simmer until zucchini is done, but not falling apart
- Serve warm with crackers, or bread.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.