What do you do when you’re bored with your usual dinner recipes? Concoct a stuffed acorn squash recipe! This is another one of those wonderful naturally gluten-free recipes.
Winter squash is packed with nutrition and, even better (well, from one perspective), it’s easy to cook.
My family never really ate winter squash, so after we got married, I just cooked whatever squash Gabe-the-squash-lover told me was good.
Even so, when I walked into the grocery store the other day and saw acorn squash on sale, I realized that I still hadn’t tried them. So I bought one and decided to try stuffing it with an Italian-type meat filling.
There were so many thing that I loved about it, I had to make a list!
- Acorn squash is very mild tasting, and takes very well to the savory flavors of a meat filling.
- I loved how this one simple dish covered pretty much every nutritional base to be had, from the nutrition packed grass-fed beef, to the vitamin and mineral packed spinach and squash.
- It looked pretty awesome too, which thrilled me because I spent a grand total of about ten minutes in active preparation.
- All these flavors came from very basic ingredients, using very little prepwork. That was important because we’re back in our almost-empty TN house right now where we have littleraly one mixing bowl, one skillet, and two dinner plates at our behest.
Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ cup spinach, chopped
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp/ pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or homemade goat cheese
- Cut squash in half and de-seed using a fork.
- Place in baking dish or crock pot, cut side down.
- Add 1 cup of water to dish and bake in 350º oven for one hour, or 3-4 hours in crockpot.
- Brown meat in a skillet with chopped onion and garlic.
- Drain grease, and add spinach.
- Heat until spinach is wilted.
- Add spices and cheese and mix well.
- Stuff the seed wells of each acorn squash half.
- Tip: these are really great to make ahead, and keep warm in the crockpot until you’re ready for dinner!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!