Last week, we were in South America, where it’s almost spring, and pumpkin Spice is the furthest thing from anybody’s mind.
Then we came home, and almost the first thing I did was log into my blog dashboard to find about a million (give or take nine-hundred-ninety-nine thousand) comments on my favorite Pumpkin Spice No-Bake Cookies recipe.
At first, I was shocked and caught off guard, having spent the last three weeks eating choripan and dulce de leche, but then I quickly got with the program because Pumpkin spice anything is the best anything there is (with maybe the exception of chocolate).
It’s time for pumpkin spice season
So my first thought was, I’ve got to remake these cookies so I can answer these questions better and take better photos! But then I thought, I can’t do that, I’ve been promising myself that I’d eat healthier and besides, we don’t even have any sugar.
Who needs sugar when you have maple syrup anyway, though? It’s sweet, it’s calorific, but it’s healthier, so it didn’t violate my “health conscience” too much.
And it didn’t bother the kids at all – they licked these healthier pumpkin spice no-bake cookies right up!
Here are a few important things you should know about these cookies:
- Healthier doesn’t mean low-calorie. In fact, it rarely does, but the calories have redeeming qualities – minerals in maple syrup, for instance.
- When making cookies that don’t contain nut butter, it is vitally important that you boil your syrup to the softball stage. Anything less, and your cookie will not harden. The end. Two degrees more, and your cookies turn to crumbles (which make excellent ice cream topping btw.) My mom always used the water test, but I recommend using a candy thermometer. Water testing ain’t my thing.
- Beating the semi-cooled syrup causes crystal formation, which helps your cookie set up. Much like making fudge, if you don’t beat the syrup, your cookies will probably stay runny.
So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, prepare to tickle your taste buds with some serious pumpkin spice!
Healthy Pumpkin Spic No-Bake Cookies
Craving pumpkin spice? These simple and tasty no-bake cookies will hit the spot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Combine maple syrup and pumpkin purée in a small saucepan
- Clip the candy thermometer to the side and heat over medium heat
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling until syrup reaches the soft ball stage (238º – about five minutes)
- Remove from heat and add vanilla
- Let cool for ten minutes
- Beat with an immersion blender or rapidly with a fork until the mixture turns opaque. It should begin to crystalize.
- Quickly add oatmeal and drop by a teaspoon full onto parchment paper
- Let cool completely
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.