These grain-free apple cinnamon-spice muffins are perfect for a warm breakfast on a cold morning! Pair them with a mug of hot herbal tea and you have perfection!
Something about this cold, drizzly weather makes me want to bake warm, spicy comfort food. So while pretty much the rest of the world is making fudge, candy, and peppermint flavored, well, everything, I’m over here peeling apples and putting cinnamon in everything.
Don’t get me wrong, I love fudge, and peppermint is one of the world’s best. favors. ever. (if you don’t believe me, check out these paleo peppermint patties).
But right now, I just want something that makes me feel warm and cozy to munch on while I sit in front of the fire (and I know that a gas heater doesn’t really count as a fireplace, but you do what you can with what you have, right?).
Just the way your kitchen will smell when you make these is totally worth it! And then you get to sink your teeth into soft, fluffy, warm, and spicy muffins with a juicy, sweet-tart bit of apple sprinkled throughout. It’s a real treat!
Why eating gluten-free is so important for us
We’ve been reducing the number of grains we eat on a regular basis, so I’ve been converting a lot of our recipes to coconut flour-based recipes. I use to get discouraged at how much grain-free flour costs until I actually started using it.
Coconut flour may cost more per pound than a rice flour blend; since you use so little of it, it amortizes out pretty quickly. (I bought a 25-pound bag of flour over a year ago for just over $2/lb – I just hope that deal comes back around before we run out!)
Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon-Spice Muffins
If you love apple cinnamon, these grain-free apple cinnamon spice muffins are so delicious!
- ½ cup light olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup sugar (I use evaporated cane sugar)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons allowed milk (almond milk works as well as dairy)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Whisk oil sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and milk.
- Mix coconut flour, baking powder cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Stir in chopped apple
- Grease a dozen muffin cups, or line with paper cupcake liners.
- Fill each liner to about 1/4 inch from the top.
- Bake the muffins on the center rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until muffins are slightly brown on tip, and don’t give too much when poked.
- Remove the muffins from oven. Let them cool for five minutes before removing from the pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Serve with butter, or a dusting of powdered sugar. Yum!
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.
Ashley Breanna says
These look great!
Lynn Roitt says
Please check your recipe. Did you mean 3/4 TSP nutmeg instead of 3/4 CUP nutmet?
Yep, 3/4 teaspoon is right. Thanks for catching that!
For the 2 Tbsp. milk, I’m not sure what you mean by allowed…I usually use rice or goat milk – that will work, right?
Yes. “Allowed” is for the dairy allergy peeps. Goat milk is perfect. Almond and coconut milk also both work very well. 🙂