Gluten-Free Hamburger Bun Recipe
- ½ cup warm (110º) water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour mix
- 1 ½ teaspoon guar or xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin powder (I use beef gelatin, but Knox, which you can buy at the grocery store works as well)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Stir together the water and sugar. Add yeast, and set aside to proof.
- In a small mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water.
- In a larger bowl, mix flour, guar gum, and salt together.
- Once the gelatin is softened in the water, add in the egg, egg white, oil, and vinegar.
- Beat together well.
- Pour over dry ingredients.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Stir together until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Beat for 2-3 minutes at medium speed.
- Grease two cookie sheets, and divide dough/batter into six, evenly spaced piles on the sheets.
- With a wet spatula, smooth “piles” into rounds, about ¾ inch in height.
- I actually only made five, but they were absolutely huge, so I recommend six.
- Let rise for 30-45 minutes (depending on your kitchen temperature).
- Note that because these buns don’t have any “stops” they will spread out wider as they rise. So if you have bun-shaped pans, or care to make foil forms, go for it!
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Bake hamburger buns for 15-25 minutes until golden brown on bottom.
- Let cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
- Slice when cool enough to handle.